[Dancer-users] dancer bug

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 17:56:02 CEST 2010

Hi Naveed,

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Naveed Massjouni <naveedm9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:35 PM, P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:
>> from http://perlsharedhosting.com/tech/frameworks/dancer
>>
>> "
>> Note – there is a bug in Dancer version 1.1803 causing routes to work
>> incorrectly under some versions of Apache. Hopefully by the time you
>> read this the bug will be fixed, but in the meantime, edit
>> ~/dancertest/lib/dancertest.pm and change the default route so that it
>> matches all paths:
>> print?
>> get r('.*') => sub {
>>    template 'index';
>> };
>> "
>>

>> Well, the above bug still exists, and I am using the latest version of
>> Dancer. I must have wasted close to 3-4 days trying to figure out how
>> to run Dancer with Apache CGI, but the deployment instructions for
>> Dancer are still far from useful.
>>
>> Of course, I also have had to move dispatch.cgi from within public/ to
>> one level above so Apache can get to it. Its all really incorrect.
>>
>> Could someone please comment on the state of Dancer deployment?
>
> I am currently updating the deployment docs.  I'm adding a section for
> deploying on lighttpd via CGI and FastCGI.  If lighttpd is an option
> for you, I think you will find it much easier to configure and get
> your app up and running.

Unfortunately, changing web servers is not an option for me, not just
on the servers I control, but also on shared web servers on which I
have a couple of web sites.

> I suggest that the first section in the
> deployment docs, named Running as a CGI Script, should be moved under
> the Apache section.  And it should be re-written from scratch maybe.
> That way when a new user sees this page, they see the nice ways to
> deploy stand-alone first.  And if they have to deploy on Apache or
> lighttpd, they can jump to the corresponding section that they need.

The above sounds like a plan, and I will be happy to contribute toward
Apache relevant docs once I am completely successful. Unfortunately, I
have hit another roadblock that I will describe in a separate email.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org